Onewheel Uses Segway-Like Self Balancing Technology To Create The Real Hoverboarding Experience
Mountain View, California electric vehicle startup Future Motion launches its debut product: a self-balancing electric skateboard that lets you fly over pavement on only a single wheel using
The world’s first self-balancing electric skateboard. Hub-motor powered, controlled by leaning your body, incredibly fun.
Funded on Kickstarter. Onewheel is a dynamic new boardsport where riders can accelerate up
to 12MPH only by leaning toward their front foot. Leaning back slows down, or even reverses.
Regenerative braking recharges the battery during deceleration.
But the real fun of riding Onewheel is carving on pavement. It’s like snowboarding on powder or surfing a
wave, but no mountain or ocean is required. Just a flat paved surface. Light heel or toe pressure carves turns
and can even turn 360 degrees within the length of the board.
Unlike a skateboard, you don’t feel every little crack and pebble in the street. Instead you roll over them on
the 11inch air filled racing gokart tire, a miniature version of an F1 tire.
The hub motor, is the core of Onewheel, and features state-of-the-art axial flux brushless motor technology.
This gives Onewheel the power it needs without a transmission—no gears or belts,
just one moving part, the wheel itself.
Powerful lithium iron phosphate batteries provide high peak power for acceleration and self-balancing, and
recharge in under 30 minutes using the fast charger option.
– revolutionizes the experience of riding—test riders describe it as feeling “like a natural extension of your
– built around race-rated go kart tire and a completely custom high performance electric drivetrain
– hub motor technology enables an incredibly smooth and elegant ride
– unlike most boardsports, the learning curve is only a few minutes thanks to the unique self-balancing
– same motion sensing technology (MEMS gyros, accelerometers) that you find in a smartphone
– new technologies in sensors made it possible to achieve the sub $2k price point without sacrificing
performance, unlike Segway which is >$5k
– It’s 2014 and your hoverboard is here.
Available for Pre-Order for $1,499 for the base model Onewheel, with custom colors and high speed charging available as options.
Onewheel inventor and chief engineer Kyle Doerksen spent 8 years at IDEO designing consumer and
technical products and holds multiple engineering degrees from Stanford. He also helped found Faraday
Bikes, an electric bicycle startup in San Francisco CA
Visit The Official Onewheel Site at http://www.rideonewheel.com
Source: Future Motion